Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ode to being Pregnant

I have come to terms with the fact that I am not carrying a 15lb baby, so I have rationalized the weight gain instead.

Pre-natal vitamins have made my hair and nails grow so long that they alone must weigh 3 lbs. 30% more blood running through my veins must weigh a ton & the days I'm weighed at the doctor's office I'm sure my shoes weigh 2 1/2 lbs each! I have had to move up a cup size so I know the "girls" are getting bigger/heavier too (which is the only part I don't mind weighing more!)

And then, of course, there is water, placenta, and finally my baby boy who only accounts for 1 1/2 pounds at this point. sigh.



Things I've Learned:

  • I pee so much I'm not sure how my body produces spit!
  • Rolaids are my friend.
  • I am constantly hungry (which explains the 15 lbs).
  • Smells are 100x worse than usual.
  • I lost all desire for meat & chicken.
  • Bag-balm is awesome.
  • Baby does not like the dentist.
  • Maternity clothes are expensive!
  • Hand-me-downs ROCK!
  • I don't read the "bad/sad" chapters of preggo books. My imagination is vivid enough, I don't need someone else's ideas floating around in my head.
  • Even sounds have made me gag!
  • My memory is worse than it was pre-baby...which is bad!
  • Complete strangers will talk to you just because you're pregnant.
  • Pregnancy months confuse me... I have to go by weeks.
  • Do the math... 40 weeks / 4 weeks in a month = 10 months!
  • Grown men will go out of their way to accommodate you (like a stranger walking out of the uni-sex bathroom who saw me waiting in line and turned around to put the seat down!)
  • There is nothing better than seeing the smile on my family's face when they get to feel the baby kick.

(I have really enjoyed this experience thus far!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't envy you much right now. It hasn't been long enough for me to forget what it feels like to be in your shoes! You look so cute in your prego picture! I know that's what everyone says and it doesn't help much but it's true-- pregnant women are cute! Just enjoy your sleep these last few months and take advantage of your alone time with Veao!!!

budandlissa said...

Huh... that sounds oddly familiar! It will be crazy when it's all over though, you think it's going by slow, then suddenly it's all over and everyone's asking when the next one's coming. Pregnancy is always completely different from how you think it will be. Just know that all of us mothers are sympathizing with you and completely excited for you at the same time. Karen's right though, get as much sleep as you can now!!! :)

Bec said...

To make you feel better, I gained a whopping 50 lbs with James... and he was a wee 8lbs 11oz (which isn't that "wee", but is much less than FIFTY!). Either way, I lost it in the end. So don't fret. All's well that ends in labor! ;)